Today's FAF (Frequently Asked Friday) "What's the best way to form (or build) a good habit?"
MG tackles this question by dispelling some very popular misinformation on the internet mostly directed at something known within psychology as the "habit loop" or, Cue, Routine, Reward.
Cue, Routine, Reward does little, if anything, as a <em>process</em> or <em>methodology</em> to help someone to develop a good, positive habit and here are just a few reasons why:
Cue, Routine, Reward is:
1) Based upon tests with lab animals; mice and rats NOT humans
2) Involves little, if any, PLANNING on how to develop the good behavior (habit)!
3) It lacks any planning mechanism. Cue, Routine, Reward doesn't allow for the establishment of "targets". For instance, are you going to "Read" every day or just 3 times a week? And, when you read, are you reading for 10 pages or 20 minutes?
4) Cue, Routine, Reward provides NO instruction or recommendation about the recording or, TRACKING of their behavior.
5) Lacking any "tracking/recording" mechanism, Cue, Routine, Reward offers no process or recommendation for "REASSESSMENT" or "raising the bar" and/or how long to track and when to increase the targets.
6) HabitStrength!: By following P.A.R.R. (Plan, Act, Record and Reassess) Users understand that habit development will strengthen over time <em>with use.</em> This happens via the tracking and reassessment process which help to increase habitstrength.
Therefore, when it comes to intentional, positive, habit development for HUMANS, the recommendation is to follow the P.A.R.R. methodology; Plan, Act, Record (tracking + notes) and Reassess.
Unfortunately, Cue, Routine and Reward and the "habit loop" leaves much to be desired as a process/methodology to follow for habit development.
Enjoy the episode! Feel free to share and leave a review on iTunes!
The Success Principles (Jack Canfield)
Getting Things Done! (Allen's Great Book!)
Enjoy and share! Thank you!
>>>FREE RESOURCES!! <<<
As a Man Thinketh ~James Allen's Personal Development Classic! (FREE PDF!)
heck it out and be sure to subscribe!
Thank YOU for checking out this episode and we're always grateful when you SHARE our stuff w/ your friends and help us by writing a review ; )